2008-04-17

kids.. kids..

I settled into the chair, finally rested my back. Lit up a cigarette, waved for a coffee and started looking around. This kid of 14, 2 tables across, is holding a cigar, looking all proud. I was thinking to myself, that all I could afford was the stupid cigarette. The kid and his companion kid are doing the yo-yo talk, wearing the yo-yo clothes. He sees me watching, decides to show off, drags deep on the cigar, and blew it through his nose. My eyes popped and I dropped my cigarette. I did think before I did the act. Walked up to the table, and told him "You'll die in a month if you smoke that cigar like you smoke a cigarette". Kid's ego bubbled up like a baloon, retorts back, "I know to smoke, you dont have to teach me".

I nodded to myself in dissapproval. Kids these days.. They dont know. And they dont want to learn..

16 comments:

Nayantara said...

Ah yes! Apparently thats one of the 'in' and 'grown up' things to do! Just one of the many. =/

farustar said...

oh gawd i agree wid you...these "kids" make you feel like yer from 10 generations back just for being a little more careful about your health...the worst part is that usually, they're just a year or tw oyounger than you...bleah!

Da Rodent said...

@nayantara: you mean the cigar??

@farustar: i know.. kids of this kind will learn it the hard way.

Nayantara said...

Cigars, pubs, spikes and spiked drinks.

:$ I'm a part of that faction really.
Though I don't fancy indulging in those stuff.
=/

Da Rodent said...

@nayantara: Hmm.. I indulge in all of that. The reason I indulge in them is because I like them, and not because it is the 'in' thing.

In fact I was a cigar smoker before I started on cigarettes.

Nayantara said...

Thats my point. There's no reason why they should be gulping it down, being ripped off 5000 bucks and complaining in hushed tones that its worse than bitter-guard juice!

=)

Da Rodent said...

@nayantara: true true.. :)

againstthegrain said...

Kids are interesting, but they scare me. They scare me in the way that I hope to god I wasn't like some of them when I was their age. Im in University now, so being kid/teenager wasn't that long ago, but sometimes I see this little girls, 13-14 acting like bigshots and making rude jokes, or giving cut eye at anyone and anything. Again, i just hope that I was never like that around their age.

Da Rodent said...

@againstthegrain: The way the generation gap is widening, I guess we're gonna have a lot of surprises. :P Hmm, and we are already talking like ol ppl :P

Gayatri said...

14 year old? get out! =P

i couldn't spell the word cigarette at age 14.

Da Rodent said...

@gayatri: LOL.. i cannot claim that level innocence, but still :P

Macadamia The Nut said...

Hard to imagine were were 'kid' too once :D

Da Rodent said...

@the nut: hehe.. yeah.

Neers said...

let 'em be! let 'em learn! we teach best, what we need to learn... i guess! but that said... i guess, sometimes we can't help ourselves and pry someone off the edge...

Echo said...

"Kids these days..."
Didn't Aristotle say that?

Da Rodent said...

@neers: true.. guess should just let them learn it their way..

@echo: aristole?? sure?? :P